freeBSD vs Booker

So i wanted to try out bsd just for the sake of it and since im getting annoyed by the macbook pro that i used i now switch to ghostbsd.

So for it works great!

IMG_20190525_164651

4 Likes

lmao, stop using new hardware, duh

2 Likes

What hardware are you using? I remember there was something funny before I managed to boot the USB stick, but after that installing GhostBSD was more or less like installing any Linux distro. Err, I mean any distro with GUI installer. :stuck_out_tongue:

Installer even asked what shell I wanted to use.

1 Like

:arch:

3 Likes

That’s why I mentioned GUI installer. Installing FreeBSD kinda brought back all the nam flashbacks from installing :arch: :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

but FreeBSD has the installer, :arch: lacks that. It just has the terminal and a bunch of commands :wink:

2 Likes

STOP REMINDING ME ABOUT IT!!

J/K, installing Arch wasn’t that bad :wink:

4 Likes

b350 mobo, 1800x, 16gb ram, a bunch of ssds and a nvme

i downloaded a newer .iso and will try again. if it cant mount something to a device and doesnt give me a shell, i cant do that much gotta say :joy:

1 Like

It had something to do with GPU in my case. I remember I had to fiddle with modeset or something like that, like trying multiple options before I was able to boot the usb stick. But I was atleast able to use shell etc.

If GhostBSD isn’t working then go with FreeBSD. Gek will suggest OpenBSD but don’t listen to him :wink:

2 Likes

GhostBSD is the one with an installer and an XFCE environment that looks newer than 1996 right?

2 Likes

hard pass

2 Likes

Yeah, XFCE looks really outdated on GhostBSD, but MATE edition is more polished. I don like MATE so I went trough the trouble and installed KDE.

2 Likes

since ghostbsd was not able to boot on my hardware and it also didnt boot in a virtualbox i got freebsd loaded up

Screenshot%20from%202019-05-30%2016-50-21

shell is funky and the 1800x is now an epyc cpu which is kinda cool i guess?

4 Likes

i really like that if your pkg database disk image is malformed you duck it the first links that come up are from ps4 :joy:

xorg really is bloat

Screenshot%20from%202019-06-15%2016-14-52

KDE is also bloat

Screenshot%20from%202019-06-15%2016-53-10

@rgk was right all along.

2 Likes

PERFECTION

Screenshot%20from%202019-06-15%2017-27-23

3 Likes

Just using a little X environment?

1 Like

I have kde5 with plasma installed but havnt configured it yet so i was curious about straight x.

3 Likes

Niiiice :ok_hand:

2 Likes

this looks like hot garbage and I like it

2 Likes

tWm, hurrrrr, durrrr…

Fantastic… approved.

“No one needs more Window Manager than TWM…”

2 Likes