Freeland Freeweighters!

To literally rip off @admindev’s statement on another forum

“What doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger.”

This thread is for general excersise and weight lifting. I noticed we did not have one. I dont really have expectations for the thread other than share what works for you.

I have personally been really enjoying my time in the gym and personally challenging myself. A coworker of mine is a builder and has me on this plan and ive been able to stick to it. Really helps resolve daily frustration. ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL

My work out
Day 1: Chest and Triceps Sets and Reps Day 2: Legs and Biceps Sets and Reps Day 3: Back and Shoulders Sets and Reps Day 4: Rest
Bench Press 8 Sets, 10-10-8-8-6-6-4-4 Barbell Squat 6 Sets, 10-10-8-8-6-6 Pullups 1, To FAILURE
Dumbell Flyes 4 Sets, 6-6-6-6 Leg Press 4 Sets, 8-8-8-8 Bent Over Rows 4 Sets, 8-8-8-8
Incline Barbell Tricep Extensions 4 Sets, 6-8-6-8 Leg Extension 4 Sets, 8-8-8-8 Wide Lat Pulldown 4 Sets, 8-8-8-8
Cable Crossovers 4 Sets, 8-8-8-8 Lying Leg Curls 4 Sets, 8-8-8-8 Wide Lat Pulldown Behind Neck (CAREFUL) 4 Sets, 6-6-6-6
Dips 3 Sets, 8-8-8 Deadlifts (fuck these) 4 Sets, 8-8-8-8 Seated Rows 4 Sets, 10-10-10-10
Standing Overhead Triceps Ext 4 Sets, 8-8-8-8 Barbell Curl 4 Sets, 8-10-8-10 Standing Press 6 Sets, 8-8-6-6-3-3
Reverse Tricepts Push Down 4 Sets, 10-10-10-10 Alternating Dumbell Curl 4 Sets, 8-8-8-8 Front Barbell Raise 4 Sets, 8-8-8-8
Tricept Push Down 4 Sets, 10-10-10-10 Barbell Preachers 4 Sets, 8-8-8-8 Side Barbell Raise 4 Sets, 8-8-8-8
Dumbell Pushbacks 4 Sets, 6-6-6-6 Cable Curls 3 Sets, 10-10-10 Face Down Side Raise (incline) 4 Sets, 8-8-8-8

It has me working out muscle groups twice a week. Im more sore than I have ever been but it feels good! Really thinking I might be able to stick to this!

My Diet:
Diet wise I have never been good at maintaining. I am open to suggestion myself. I try to eat meat less than twice a week. I focus on eating eggs and leafy greens etc but other than that I dont pay enough attention to my diet and I should.

Things I suggest sticking to

1. Throw out the alcohol (or barely drink)
  2. Maintain low carb and throw out refined sugars
  3. Supplement your loss in carbs with fat and protein.
  4. Absolutely delete all soda for your life! lol

A note on not finishing Workouts:
FINISH THEM! Theres something about building self confidence. If you never see something through to completion how can you say you complete it. It builds up white lies until it gets to you. It did for me back in HS. Just do what you can honestly do and finish and complete through the week. Set those goals conservatively. Confidently build up! Leave your ego at the door and just do it! (nike ™)

Anyways I created this thread so we can all share what works for us from diet to excersise and collectively help one another. That and @diceman seemed to want one :wink:

I’m not good on diets, but I’m making a concerted effort to quit soda’s. If I get this new job and my roommate and I move to more long term housing, I am planning on getting a gym membership with a pool so I can swim laps.

I love swimming. I hate being sweaty, but don’t mind being wet head to toe, oddly. I’m a strong swimmer, so I figure it being exercise that I don’t hate, probably my best bet for losing weight.

This is great I hope it goes well for you man. Plus swimming gets you out of the monotony.

It’s hard for everyone … eating is never an easy thing to control. Excersise however is…

Interesting I used to hate this when I was far more overweight. You may find as the weight drops you may enjoy the sweat lol. It’s a love hate thing

I hate sweat because I predominantly sweat in situations where people normally do not. Slight elevation in room temp in an office environment? I’m sweating, people paying attention to me? Sweat.

etc. I don’t care too much when I am doing physical labor because, well, you’re supposed to sweat. I don’t like it, but I don’t flat out hate it.

It gets so easy after a while you won’t think twice. Then, when you do have one, you realize it’s

1. Too much (volume)
  2. Too sweet
  3. Not worth the time it takes to down that many calories
1 Like

Fixed that for you

1 Like

Been supplementing with coffee.

No sugar, but I use a lot of creamer.

2 Likes

My routine:

A weeks

Back Day

• Bent-Over Row
  • T-Bar Row/Olympic Ring Row*
  • Shrugs
  • Curls

Leg Day

• Squat
  • Hack Squat
  • Reverse Lunge
  • Leg Raises

Chest Day

• Bench Press
  • Close Grip Bench Press
  • Olympic Ring Pushups
  • Triceps Extensions

Hinge Day**

• Deadlift
  • Good morning
  • Superman
  • Glute-Ham Raise

B weeks

Back Day

• Bent-Over Row
  • T-Bar Row
  • Olympic Ring Row
  • Shrugs
  • Curls

Leg Day

• Squat
  • Hack Squat
  • Romanian Deadlift/Good Morning*
  • Reverse Lunge
  • Leg Raises

Chest Day

• Bench Press
  • Close Grip Bench Press
  • Olympic Ring Pushups
  • Overhead Press
  • Lateral Raise

A weeks I go four times a week on a “Max Effort” scheme. B weeks I go six times a week and flip “Max” and “Dynamic” days.

So Heavy chest, light legs, heavy back, light chest, heavy legs, light back. As an example…

Sprinkle in heavy bag training, grappling, skipping rope, and running throughout the week.

Diet has been shit since late November. Back on track, now. Plant-based. Lots of salads, leafy greens, brown rice, black beans, tofu, fruit, yams, sweet potatoes… Really just a mix and match of those items.

* Lifts are typically swapped every week or every other week.
** Not done every week. Usually mixed with Back/Leg days.

All exercises are done with a barbell. Lateral raises are done with the barbell plates or dumbbells. Olympic ring lifts are done with Olympic Rings tied to the pull-up bar on the squat rack.

2 Likes

I gotta say, seeing a continual downward trend in weight makes me feel very good. And I’m not really exercising right now. I just weighed in at 298. I peaked at 312 last October, and I haven’t been under 300 in probably more than two years.

Main thing I’ve changed is my food intake. Overall less random eating or snacking, but a lot less “junk” type food. Mainly I guess what could be called “empty carbs.” A lot less vending machine visits at work, a lot less crap food from Aldi/Walmart.

I have a stationary bike and a bench I can do sit-ups on in the basement of my house, but I’m not living at my house yet. Need to make the effort to go there at least a few times during the week, do some work, and spend like 20 minutes riding bike and doing sit-ups.

3 Likes

Drop the sugar all together and replace that intake with fats and protein. Makes a huge difference. It will feel like the flu for a bit but later you are good. You’ll be surprised how much weight comes off. I like to fast alot but that’s me and not anybody else.

IMHO it’s best to prioritize the kind of muscles you want to develop … endurance and slow twitch are from cardio excersises and the fast twitch high metabolic muscle tends to come from weight lifting. Mixing both kind of goes nowhere so if you want the fast you gotta keep cardio under 20 and the weight lifting past 40 or at least so I’ve been told :wink:

Best of luck.

1 Like

I would say I have reduced my sugar intake, sort of unconsciously by choosing somewhat healthier foods. I mostly dropped soda probably three years ago, still have one probably once or twice a month. I try to avoid corn syrup and processed foods. I’ve mostly stopped snacking before bed.

My goal is increased stamina, lose belly fat, and strengthen my back. I alternate between the bike and the sit-up bench. I can’t bike more than a few minutes without running out of energy. Then I do sit-ups until my back becomes stiff and painful and my abs feel tight. Then repeate.

1 Like

All sounds really good especially on the diet end. Keep it up
Even the day you feel like taking a break, remind yourself your goal and how good it will feel. It always hypes me up!

I never thought I’d feel that feeling, but I do. I was walking around yesterday and I felt different, lighter, slimmer. Didn’t think much of it until I weighed myself and found I was three pounds lighter than five days earlier. I want to continue that.

1 Like

It’s a very inspirational feeling I will caution you. Consistent weight loss occurs but IMHO don’t always watch the scale like a hog. The way I do it is I weight the same time after food and being hydrated the same day of every week once a week. That gives me the most realistic representation of loss since I can eliminate water weight as a cause :wink:

Yeah, I try to only weigh on Sunday nights. But some days I feel good so I’m curious.

I use an app called openScale to track weight.

1 Like

If you fatigue type I fibers (slow-twitch) your body will start to recruit more type IIa and IIb (fast and moderate-fast twitch). Pushing past your threshold and attaining “max exercise” is how you increase endurance, and that is going to involve fast twitch fibers of some capacity. Even in long distance running fast twitch are involved, especially at the later stages.

Building muscle has nothing to do with time. You can exercise for 12 to 15 minutes every day and if you achieve positive failure, tear the muscle, consume enough leucine in your protein, and achieve protein synthesis (water, rest, not damaging the muscle) you can “get jacked” or whatever the goal.

2 Likes

Back day

2 Likes

Ouch dude. There are gloves for that

Lmao never.

2 Likes

I’m a pussy about it I totally wear them. I hate blisters and callaces or however you spell it.

Definitely don’t have a working mans hands.