Light at the end of the tunnel

Or how to bring some light to a nerd doomer

So I took the time off the forum and spent my weekend finally finishing the hardware part of my LED strip desk light thing. I plan on doing a write up on a blog when I also finish the software part, but decided to dump something here too:

It all started with a note in my (based) Nextcloud instance:

Although most of it is about software, the idea can be described by first 3 points.

From there I experimented on a breadboard, and left it at that for a long time, until recently. I took out an old ATX PSU and did some tests. Measured dimensions, and read about my MCU of choice (ESP8266).

So after all that i ordered some parts, and then sat down and drew a schematic:

When the parts arrived I drilled and assembled the case to figure out how much space I have to play with.

And got to work on soldering it all.

And in the end I stuffed it all inside and soldered some more. And yes, I know I put wires on top of Wi-Fi antenna, Thug life, get over it.

After a i bit of whoopsie with the logic levels, it was done.

So now only two things left:

1. Code the firmware
  2. Mount it.

I am still not sure if I want to over-complicate it with MQTT and OpenHAB, might just do a REST thing over HTTPS.

11 Likes

Good work monsieur gek.

2 Likes

holy shit, nice.

I’d like to build something like this for my garage.

Can you get me a cleaner picture of your diagram?

2 Likes

I am gonna redraw it in KiCAD for the blog post probably. Also it’s a bit outdated since I changed a few pins here and there in the moment, for practical reasons. Also it’s missing reverse polarity protection and proper logic level shifter.

2 Likes

Actually now that I think about it, all the lights I have laying around are non addressable anyway.

Id have to modify it heavily.

2 Likes

How is this? UI, utility, power, feature set, etc.

My coworkers use it to do all of our shit, it’s pretty good, even though has some quirks. They used proprietary shit before and they aren’t complaining.

2 Likes

It has its quirks. It will never EVER approach the usefulness of cadence, eagleCAD, altium designer, or solid works but it’s a great open source alternative for the hobbier and light engineering tasks.

nice thread @rgk seriously :+1:

We purchased some cheap controllers for our office but they kind of suck. I don’t know much about this stuff. What made you want to do this? Why was this better than buying something? I’m curious

I don’t have room on my desk for a light, but I have a shelf above it, so I thought mounting a led strip could be cool.

I wanted to DIY it coz I want to learn hardware, soldering and also just like making my own things.

3 Likes

What Todo app is that, btw?

3 Likes

I decided on soft arch, will just use web for controls, no security checks, coz it’s in my local net. So if someone is in my net I have bigger problems

also @admindev some old images are gone?

1 Like

:arch: :arch: :arch: :arch: :arch: :arch: :arch: