New Forum Architecture

Hello everyone.

Many of us are familiar with Discourse across several platforms. Level1Techs, Blizzard, and many support forums use the software. However, I’ve noticed that quite a few of us have issues with the server and front-end. While our criticisms vary, the central point remains. I’ve taken this feedback and decided to challenge myself in creating a new forum architecture/platform to deploy and use “internally”. If it is a success, stable, and we enjoy using it, I will integrate it fully into the AdminDev domain.

My original plan was to use C, CSS, and HMTL. Due to my limited understanding and getting ahead of myself, I have opted to use .NET Core to build the server. I know, I know, it’s far from the excitement of building a raw web server in C and running on an OpenBSD system, but I think in doing this I will learn a great deal about systems, servers, and handling client/server traffic.

Depending on my success in the future, I may “refactor” into a low level language like C. But, for now, hopefully you will be satisfied with a “minimal” Object Oriented language.

So, what are the next steps?

Right now I’m working on an authentication system, which C# has very nice tools to handle. You can create a hash and salt the hash within the framework. By the end of January or early February, I expect to have this deployed. This will be a very simple site – You will be able to register, create a profile, send messages to each other, and upload pictures/videos. By end of February I expect to have a functioning forum.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

7 Likes

yesyesyes

disapoint

4 Likes

Lmao.

In other news, auth seems to be working :wink:

1 Like

Now for some non-printable character and buffer-overflow injection?

3 Likes

OOB solutions could be Vanilla or Carbon.

Or go custom Drupal based forum, that works well.

1 Like

yeah @admindev I hope u r okay with us trying to break it once you release it :wink:

4 Likes

That’s going to be the point of “internal use”. From first launch end of January/early Feb I’d like to see what we can do to get the server to crash, authentication to fail, user info to show up where it’s not supposed to, being able to see other’s hidden settings, etc.

I thought about going the PHP route but decided to do something fresh and modern. I like the aesthetics of Discourse.

1 Like

That’s going to be the fun part.

2 Likes

> modern

> dot net

u could call php7 modern too i guess :wink:

1 Like

FTFY

Also lol

COMING FROM THE GUY THAT LOVES HATES LESS THE LANGUAGE MADE IN THE 70s

2 Likes

admindev decides to go alternative route and goes

I’m sysopdev now. Here’s a BBS .

3 Likes

Writes Server in PowerShell and Bash

6 Likes

yeah coz cutting it down to not port the windows specific cruft is uber modern :stuck_out_tongue:

don’t mind me, it’s def modern. compared to C :wink:

1 Like

u r fucking disgusting pervert. pick one jeez

1 Like

Maxine’s worst nightmare.

This, unfortuantely, required lost of Bash scripts

1 Like

also u know what

sips, yeap. C was a great lang.

they don’t make em like they used to

1 Like

Yes.

Yes.

Yeah, what is the criticism?

I’m actually surprised you didn’t go with Go or Rust. That would have been my first choice.

2 Likes

For me? A lack of control. Some of the maintenance stuff bothers me and there is just so much going on that it’s a lot to keep track of when wanting to change something.

I also don’t like that every little change requires a complete rebuild of the server.

I have more, but I typically don’t think about them until they come up. I’ve seen tsk, rgk, bookr, and a few others lodge complaints about the platform. I tend to agree with everyone, to an extent.

Same argument with C applies. I don’t know enough, and building a forum with Go seems like it would be dependency hell because they’re so strict with the stdlib I’d go elsewhere. With Rust, I don’t know enough about it, but that smells like something someone would just love to exploit due to my lack of understanding with their type safety.

I know Java. C# is just a higher performing Java. This will be the MARK I and then we’ll move into relying on building a high performance server rather than relying on Nginx or the CLR to do it for us :wink:

2 Likes

Well reasoned, I would say.

I was mostly curious about go because you were singing it’s praises for months and always lament about dotnet core.

1 Like

u just sealed it, I am not gonna pursue Go.