Post Intresting Open Source Projects

Do you know of or are making a cool open source project?

It can be anything, software, hardware, Free(dom), Free(beer), or paid.

Just has to be open source. Don’t be afraid to post well known projects, guarantee there is someone out there that missed it!

I am constantly finding interesting ideas out there that seem to have been over looked and would love to hear more.

Please only one or two per post with a write up of why you think it’s interesting.

I’ll try and keep a list here, please post links to git hub/lab or websites for me to link to here.

Software

Unwalled Garden
Schemas for a p2p social-media network built on the Dat Web. [Post]

Beaker Browser
An experimental peer-to-peer Web browser. [Post]

Admindev’s Fork of Rebound
Command-line tool that instantly fetches Stack Overflow results when an exception is thrown. [Post]

Recalbox
A retrogaming open source operating system for Raspberry Pi, Odroid and PC. [Post]

Retropie
RetroPie allows you to turn your Raspberry Pi, ODroid C1/C2, or PC into a retro-gaming machine. [Post]

Mapscii
A node.js based Vector Tile to Braille and ASCII renderer for xterm-compatible terminals. [Post]

Playnite
Open source video game library manager with support for 3rd party libraries like Steam, GOG, Origin, Battlenet and Uplay. Including game emulation support, providing one unified interface. [Post]

ofxpostern
Vulnerability scanner for OFX servers. [Post]

SMBetray
SMB MiTM tool with a focus on attacking clients through file content swapping, lnk swapping, as well as compromising any data passed over the wire in cleartext. [Post]

The Harvester
E-mails, subdomains and names Harvester - OSINT. Very simple, yet effective tool designed to be used in the early
stages of a penetration test. [Post]

DeepExploit
Fully automatic penetration test tool using Machine Learning. [Post]

Invidious
Invidious is an alternative front-end to YouTube [Post]

Godot Engine
Multi-platform 2D and 3D game engine completely free and open source under the MIT license. [Post]

Sonarr
Smart PVR for newsgroup and bittorrent users. [Post]

Radarr
Radarr is an independent fork of Sonarr reworked for automatically downloading movies via Usenet and BitTorrent. [Post]

Lidarr
Looks and smells like Sonarr but made for music. [Post]

Bazarr
Bazarr is a companion application to Sonarr and Radarr. It manages and downloads subtitles based on your requirements. [Post]

FreeCAD
A free and opensource multiplatform 3D parametric modeler. [Post]

The V Programming Language
Simple, fast, safe, compiled language for developing maintainable software [Post]

Asciinema
A free and open source solution for recording terminal sessions and sharing them on the web.
[Post]

Hardware

Ciclop
DIY 3D Scanner for models

Other

beerpay
Find your next great project to support and help open source to be stronger! [Post]

C3 Codes
A Simple, but Effective Method to Increase Barcode Data Capacity. [Post]

4 Likes

I’ll start.

Beaker Browser

Saw it when I was looking at Unwalled Garden.
Pretty interesting, nothing too ground breaking per say. Also really interested in peer to peer stuff and self hosting.

1 Like

Fantastic thread! I just forked this to start contributing.

I’ve wanted something like this for a while. You have a file that is having errors, you run the program and pass the file as an argument, it will browse StackOverflow (in the shell!) for that error.

Supported file types are: Python, Node.js, Ruby, Golang, and Java.

1 Like

Recalbox
A retrogaming open source operating system for Raspberry Pi, Odroid and PC.

Retropie
RetroPie allows you to turn your Raspberry Pi, ODroid C1/C2, or PC into a retro-gaming machine.

Both are built on the same underlying stuff, while retropi has more emulators but recalbox seems to work better out of the box without messing with it. Both have great options (and while retropi has more emulators some of them don’t really work on a pi), and both are something to take a look at.

2 Likes

Mapscii
A node.js based Vector Tile to Braille and ASCII renderer for xterm-compatible terminals.

https://asciinema.org/a/117928

Now this is awesome! Using OpenStreetMap data this program lets you in the terminal look look at maps! Now it’s pretty basic, but would love to see this fleshed out into a full map program where you can download the whole thing for offline use and directions.

Still neat though

Playnite is a meta game library that you can add all your other game libraries too. It has a great interface and is a great source if you find yourself with five or more game library engines.

OFXPostern is a vulnerability scanner for the Open Financial Exchange (OFX) data-stream for accounting software. Many banks today are still using outdated 1998 versions of OFX without proper authentication.

SMBetray is an quick and easy SMB man in the middle attack tool.

TheHarvester is a Open Source Intelligence (OSINT) collection tool for bulk grabbing of emails found online.

DeepExploit is an amazing Deep Learning exploit tool for engagements.

2 Likes

I’ll update the OP, but please just one or two per post with some write up on it.

Really don’t want this to turn into a dump of links with no context

2 Likes

you can ping me anytime u want something cleaned up :wink:

1 Like

If it gets to crazy I will thanks

1 Like

I fixed it, sorry mate.

1 Like

No worries, some pretty interesting stuff!
I love playnight btw, was using it on windows 10 before I switched to Manjaro.

https://invidio.us
I’ve been using this YouTube front end replacement. It has its ups and downs but as privacy is concerned, it is fantastic.
You don’t need to use your Google account, you can create one with Invidious and then import your YouTube subscriptions: https://invidio.us/data_control

It also supports Unicode passwords.
It supports 1080 60FPS videos with the DASH player:

To make it a full experience, I recommend getting these two scripts with greasyfork or tampermonkey.
The first one converts embedded YouTube videos on pages to Invidious and the second redirects YouTube links to Invidious.
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/375264-youtube-to-invidious
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/370461-invidious-redirect

2 Likes

Godot Engine
Multi-platform 2D and 3D game engine completely free and open source under the MIT license.

Weighing in at 25 MB for the Standard version or 58 MB for the Mono version with C# support, Godot is a light but powerful game engine that is amazing at 2D and recently and rapidly getting into the 3D. Accessible and clean, without the hassle of licensing.

More info at Godot’s “Features” page and games made with it at “Showcase”

One of the cool games made on it but not yet out

4.0 has some really nice features coming.

Vulkan, webasm, android improvement, visual shader builder…

Another thing on my list of aspirations, build a game. Been noodling and Godot is quite nice. Some day…

2 Likes

Ya it’s really coming into it’s own, love the idea and really liking the interface. This summer I want to make a basic 2D game.

1 Like

Sonarr
Smart PVR for newsgroup and bittorrent users.

Sonarr is a PVR for Usenet and BitTorrent users. It can monitor multiple RSS feeds for new episodes of your favorite shows and will grab, sort and rename them. It can also be configured to automatically upgrade the quality of files already downloaded when a better quality format becomes available.

!Disclaimer! !Disclaimer! !Disclaimer! !Disclaimer!
This should be used for only legally available media, which there is a ton of on Internet Archive

1 Like

There is also:
radarr for movies
https://radarr.video/

lidarr for music
https://lidarr.audio/

Bazarr for subtitles

Same caveat applies.

2 Likes

beerpay
Find your next great project to support and help open source to be stronger!

I don’t know much about this, just stumbled onto it but I like the idea.

I do like that

The Site and all content and other materials on the Site, including, without limitation, the Gratipay logo and all designs, text, graphics, pictures, information, data, software, sound files, other files and the selection and arrangement thereof (collectively, “Site Materials”) are dedicated to the public domain via the CC0 1.0 Universal Public Domain Dedication.

Also on if they support Paypal:

No. At Hashdog LLC., we have chosen Stripe as our only payment gateway, and we are very happy with that decision. HashDog has suffered PayPal in bureaucracy and lack of support, while Stripe made our lives a lot easier, from both the engineering point of view and the support provided by Stripe.

While not ground breaking using stripe, it’s nice to see them move away from paypal.

More info can be found here.

C3 Codes
A Simple, but Effective Method to Increase Barcode Data Capacity.

logo_c3code

Touting to triple the data capacity of 2D barcodes very easily with only using a few simple Linux commands, this project seems to be pretty interesting for some simple but visually interesting pieces.
Screenshot_2019-05-27%20C3%20Codes%20-%20Home

Ciclop
DIY 3D Scanner for models

ciclop

Pretty basic, this is a free set up to scan objects. This could be used in not only video games and movies, but also in for artifact archival purposes.

1 Like