Post Your Classic or Nostalgic Games

Post games that you find to be classics or just games that just get you all nostalgic

One game per post please, to keep it tidy, tell us why it is a classic or your nostalgic memories

Bonus points for video, pictures and “where to buy” link

I’ll put a list here with links to the posts for more info.

PC
NetStorm
HOMM 3
Black and White
Clusterball
Project Eden
Nanosaur
Runescape

Console
Dragon Seeds
Ring of Red
Final Fantasy VII

Arcade
Cadillacs and Dinosaurs

Other
TETRIS

2 Likes

Barely remember it, was quite small.

NetStorm

Me and my bro played it when I was super young. The sounds and aesthetics are very nostalgic to me.

1 Like

There was a time when dinosaurs were the thing to have in a game. Something like the zombie phase in modern games.

Speaking of dinosaurs…
There was a small arcade-caffe in my neighbourhood with 4-5 arcade cabinets, one foosball table, one pinball machine (can’t remember what was the title) and a single poo table.

The machine that had most of the attention was Cadillacs and Dinosaurs.

There were always people on that game, inserting tokens after tokens into it. There is something satisfying in punching dinosaurs into oblivion with bare fists.

1 Like

HOMM 3

Do I even need to post anything else? :wink:

• Hot seat with bro
  • World Editor
  • Sound and Art design
  • Mondays :heart:

It’s one of the best games ever.

2 Likes

bw%20g

Black and White

Don’t know how I got this game… But man was I obsessed with it. Was so amazing at the time, and still is fun to play to this day! Glorified advanced Tamagotchi, which to be honest was just fine with me

TETRIS

Yes, Tetris. One of the best games that has seen the light of day. The game that a lot of game designers describe as perfect for the reason that even though it has many iterations the core game is the same.

I played tetris for the first time on one of these and loved the game ever since.

Even today I enjoy this masterpiece and recently managed to break the 500k milestone on the NES variant (emulated).

Untitled

3 Likes

oh boi. I member

3 Likes

Old school Runescape

1 Like

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/r_clusterball

played that in the computer lab in 5th grade or something.

1 Like

PROJECT EDEN

I did not play this in my youth, played it about 4 years ago for the first time… I love it. Really really good game, can’t believe I had never heard of it before.

I am a sucker for cyberpunk so maybe I’m biased. Its fun, good voice acting, good story (not breaking any molds but thats fun), and good gameplay. Team members AI is a little jank, but it’s not a deal breaker for me. Same people that made Tomb Raider.

Its on GOG, It’s pretty cheap. Worth a look

https://www.gog.com/game/project_eden

1 Like

maxresdefault

DRAGON SEEDS

What is the story? IDK. Who are you? IDC. Why is this good? Its dragons that you breed and quip with weapons to battle and die for you… I played this a ton as a kid and really I don’t recall anything but that it was hard, breeding was key, the music was fun, and the battling was fun

This is the only song I remember… its still good, wonder if I still have this game somewhere

nanosaur_by_grandnightconvoymare-d9dtzki
Nanosaur

My dad had iMac and this game I think came with it… I was obsessed as a kid, was such a fun game (didn’t hurt I was really into dinosaurs as a kidI think). Didn’t know the story tell years later just played the game getting eggs and that was enough. Not to mention that sound track! Not much love for this game now it seems, hard to find anyone talking about or making videos about it.

I would call it a classic… but maybe its just my nostalgia.

a652b71c70b401fc06f68826b53a7e51c9bc2ab4

Ring of Red

Man this game was so much fun as a kid, I haven’t played for years but I will never forget it. This review does a good job on hitting all the good points of this game.

Man the PS2/Xbox was the golden area of console games

1 Like

Cruis’n USA
Cruis'n_USA_for_N64%20_Front_Cover

Simple but fun arcade style racing game. I played a lot of split screen with friends. Staying up all night trying to beat times haha. Well now I’m depressed.

Screenshot_20190528-004656_Firefox

2 Likes

It’s a meme at this point, but I don’t care.

Final Fantasy VII

I had never played a game like this before. Guns and swords and magic? Airships? Mr. T looking dude? Hawt video game girls? Explosions? Giant robot scorpions?

This game was crazy. I didn’t understand the story very well (I was maybe 7 or so?), and my strategy sucked. But as I grew older and the more I played, the more I understood and the better I got. I still play it, not as often as I used to. Crazy awesome game. I still had the bug more than a decade later when Advent Children came out. Think I bought it that day and watched it all day.

Don’t know why I got hooked so hard. Maybe the crazy world and crazy characters (Red XIII ftw). Story wasn’t that unique. But I guess considering the context of everything else, maybe it was.

Barrett’s story was deeper than anything I expected. His battle with Dyne was crazy, plus his origin story. Then, you had the betrayer, Cait Sith, which wasn’t what I expected lol. You could even one shot a boss with a Phoenix Down if you understood the mechanics and monster types well enough lmao. So fucking awesome. I think I must have done it on accident the first time. Confirmed it later that it works on monsters of the undead type or whatever. Crazy shit.

Also, Vincent and Cid.

GOAT game. Can’t change my mind.

2 Likes

7471073ba46141124c8a0e40c83f0beb2eb8ebb6_1_720x450

E.Y.E DIVINE CYBERMANCY

This game is bonkers. Its AA in its finest, it’s a little old… but man it an experience that should be had if you like 40k, cyberpunk and Dues ex (lite). The combat is a power fantasy shooter, matrix like death dealing badassery. It’s like a mashup of a ton of stuff, basically think of it as a 40k like fan fic of cyberpunk/scifi from 80s and 90s game.

26bbd324d04794b3f9c51a0acbeaad0d2b3549d9_1_720x405

Really… it’s cheap… its got co’op… up to 32 players… WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR???

http://store.steampowered.com/app/91700/EYE_Divine_Cybermancy/

I do have to admit I played it years ago and forgot about it, ran across this video today… now I have to go play again

I would recommend the Syndicate mod they made before this game (did not know they made it but it’s fun)

1 Like

The first Nier has so much nostalgia for me… it’s been about 10 years at this point since playing it with my girlfriend at the time i think we went through the game like 3 times together. I still listen to the sound track a lot.

I think who I played it with has a huge impact on why i hold the game so dear but it’s still an amazing game in its own right… very old school feeling.

don’t mind the attire there’s strong canonnical reasoning behind it…

3 Likes

And she(?) scrubs it every day or something. I played through it several times after playing Nier: Automata. It hasn’t aged real well, but I get the appeal of the way the story unfolds. I ended up caring about some of the characters, which is a rare thing for games these days.

Re the outfit, Yoko Taro just really likes women :slight_smile:

1 Like

Breh

My friend gifted this to me a couple of years ago, but I never installed it. The images on Steam did not do it justice at the time (looks like they’ve since been updated). It looked like a cheap FPS.

Holy shit.

Game is epic. Exactly as you described. Warhammer 40k with Deus Ex vibe. You are part of a secret faction looking to overthrow the government, while taking down two rogue factions.

Brilliant instruction

Epic Linux Pr0n

Open World

Intelligent A.I.

Loyal Fanatics

Enlightened Community

Lovecraftian Mechanics

Robust Navigation System

Achievements and Replay Value

1 Like

Braid is game that I don’t know if it has the classic status but definitely should be.

It’s an interesting mix of a platform + puzzle game. The main mechanic in the game is time manipulation. Throughout the game’s different worlds you use some sort of a variation of your time bending skill.

The story is good with an interesting ending + secrets for the more engaged players.
Bonus points for good soundtrack.

Soundtrack

2 Likes