Résumé Workshop

Okay, so this thread is something I have wanted to make for a while.

This thread will serve as a continual workshop for improving your résumé or CV and where you can ask others for advice. I will maintain this thread with updated links for resume examples, templates, resources, FAQ’s, etc.

(THIS SPACE IS RESERVED FOR HELPFUL LINKS)

So, I’ll start…

I’m trying to get out of my current job, and I basically need to rebuild my resume from scratch. My old resume is at home on my desktop, but it is utter garbage, and I wanna start over.

I have a ton of anxiety when it comes to building a resume, because I have no idea what the fuck to put on it. I’m only slightly better off now than I was a few years ago because now I have actual IT experience that I can claim on a resume, and now I also have the benefit of being a team lead or work lead in my current role.

So here are some general questions that I need clarification on, as I haven’t really applied for a job in over 5 years:

• What kind of structure should I follow for a resume as far as layout goes?
  • How far back in work history should I go?
  • What program or text editor is most helpful for actually typing up a resume?
  • What else should I include beyond work history and relevant experience?
  • Should I have a section listing any projects or certifications that I working on or learning outside of work? Examples: Having my own Cisco home lab, running my own file server, home automation, setting up and installing PoE security cameras, etc
  • How much is too much to put on a resume? Does it all really have to fit on one page?

@admindev whenever you get a free moment, any input you have on this would be super helpful.

1 Like

This is fairly typical

All the way.

Word, Adobe

2 is the correct number.

1 Like

Give me like an hour.

1 Like

errr… I guess it depends on who’s looking at it but i’m a firm believer of once you’re past your Mcdonalds stage you leave those jobs off and 1 page is usually sufficient if you’re including a cover letter.

2 Likes

I used to have:

• Technical Scope
  • Projects
  • Work Experience
  • Certifications
  • Education

Now I have:

• Technical Scope
  • Work Experience
  • Projects
  • Certs & Edu (most of the time I leave them off because they’re expired and no longer relevant lul)

I’m firmly in the camp of “your resume isn’t your job history”. There are folks that disagree with me, strongly. But I’ve never had issues. I go back five years. As long as it’s relevant.

Microsoft Word hands down. It’s what most people open the resume with (or in the browser with Google Docs). You can export to PDF too.

Projects, interests, hobbies (if they’re unique), education (if it’s relevant). I had a Linux Academy course on my resume at one point because I bet dollars to dicks no one had ever gone through the tedious 60 hours of videos and labs like I had lol. Turns out I was right.

Re: Hobbies – I have a friend that puts he’s a Black Belt in various martial arts. This is not only an eye grabber and talking point for the interview, but it shows he’s disciplined and dedicated. Obviously “read the room” but it’s definitely something you shouldn’t hesitate to put on your resume.

9,001% yes. I have my KVM lab, my sites, my GitHub, major work projects, etc.

Mine is two full pages. Fuck those one page people. :wink:

1 Like

Made an edit. Forgot about the skills section at the top.

Good, that’s about how long I’ve had a real full time job. Lol

@tsk @admindev @SoulFallen thanks for the input guys. I’ll update the original post when I get home.

1 Like

personally my next resume is only going to include two jobs, international auditor at UPS, and AVADirect as i’ve held 3 positions here i could fill an entire resume with just AVA.

my jobs before UPS were Burger King, Circkle k, Serv-u-sucess (pallet loading), and Home depot so it’s all gay peasant shit.

2 Likes

The technical scope at the top is a big deal imo. Everything I’ve read and been told suggests that the bots only hit the top third of the page. It scans for relevant buzzwords. I change it up depending on the job, but I also keep my core skills there

3 Likes

Everyone is pushing skills based résumés right now, I would also say that if there is a resume builder (like on USAJobs) use it over uploading your own.

1 Like

With technical scope, would that also be considered technical skills? And should that be on a side column or is that a top of the page kind of thing?

Example:

I do it after my name lol

1 Like

Perfect. Bulleted list, or just everything listed out and separated by commas?

1 Like

I’ve done both. If you’re going to comma separate everything organize it in groups. Office, OS, hardware, networking… Whatever is relevant.

1 Like

this is what I’m working with at the moment.

Technical Skills:

• MS Office
  • IBM/AS400
  • Access Database
  • Windows 7/8/10
  • Chrome OS
  • Windows CE
  • Workstation installation and setup
  • Hardware/software troubleshooting
  • Software/driver installation and troubleshooting
  • Mobile Devices (Android, iOS, Windows Mobile)
  • Local and networked printer installation/troubleshooting
  • Mobile workstations
  • Desktop and thin client workstations
  • Enterprise device repair and maintenance
  • Digital and Analog Radio programming/repair/maintenance
  • Computer hardware repair and maintenance

Professional Skills:

• Custom Workstation Solutions
  • Small Team management
  • Managing and Maintaining Equipment Inventory
  • Risk Assessment and Management
  • Written and Verbal Comprehension
  • Collaboration
  • Self-management
  • Teamwork
  • Project Management

I’m usually tailoring my resume to what’s relevant for the job. You don’t want clutter or a bunch of irrelevant skills on the page. It should be easy to see what you’re about at a glance.

1 Like

problem is the particular job I want is probably help desk related, but I’m not 100%. all I was told by my contact was just send up my resume. I have no idea what the scope of the job is, so I have no idea what to leave off.

I think this person is going to look at my resume and see what is available, so I am thinking well rounded and all inclusive is best in this particular scenario. And I can always trim it later. That, and this first draft is just mostly a vomited version of everything I could think to add to my resume that might be relevant. Not all of it will stay, but I need something I can look at glance. I sometimes forget what exactly is it that I do on a daily basis, and I’m terrible at putting it into words…

I would use a table then instead of a list or comma. I can send you mine if you want an example.